Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bangalore - paradise lost

Bangalore- Capital of Karnataka state, in South India, is now known as IT(Information Technology) capital of India.
Kudos to some of the Indian MNCs like Infosys,Wipro,TCS, who introduced Bangalore to the world.The technology developed in this very IT city is ruling the world. It has become a global city. You name an IT company, and it is there in Bangalore!! This tech-savvy city has become the silicon-valley of India..every American MNC has a development centre here. This city has the capability of shaking world's economy. If the companies in Bangalore stop functioning just for an hour, its millions of dollars loss to the IT Godfather USA, making NYSE sensex go for a toss!! It is a perfect cosmopolitan city- we find every language,every culture,every food of the world here! This city has acquired such a name in software that, foreigners who do not know about India,know Bangalore!! In my recent visit to UK,when I told my British colleague that I am from Bangalore,he was so impressed that I was finding myself with wings in his eyes! But his very next question cut my wings..his question was "heard that Bangalore has the highest number of pubs?" I tried giving him some useful information about the city,but in vain..he was more interested in pubs/bars.."Kudukan kanas nyaag baatli ne"(thatz in Kannada, saying Drunkard always
dreams of alcohol )..

Well, fame does not come alone..it'll bring its side-effects too.As the saying goes, if there is a nose..its obvious to get cold,this IT fame is making Bangalore to be a home for western lifestyle, which is much more different from our Indian culture. The city has reached to the limit where beer bottles are easily available compared to water bottles! Peolpe drinking coke-pepsi more, compared to water! Pizza-burgers are replacing rice-roti,giving birth to weight-reduction centres!! Recently I read an ad saying " Lose 10Kgs for Rs.10000..eat whatever you want"..what a business.....they earn money in people's flesh! "Charbi utarne ki business" ;-)

After Roti, let me come to Makaan(shelter)..dreaming a 30X40 house in Bangalore is like dreaming of Vidhan-Soudha..just out of reach of a normal person! Bangalore tops the list of the costliest Real-estate cities in the world! The rent rates for a 2BHK start with 5 figures!! The rent which I pay here is much more than enough for a
family in my home-town to live a comfort life! I can buy a 40X60 land in my home-town with the rent which I pay here yearly! What else to say?

If I throw some light on other social facts, I am afraid to write! Every now and then we hear about Bangalore being in the top list of terrorist attack!! Some 2-3 incidents have proven it too..gang-wars,rowdyism,murders,robberies,kidnaps,traffic-jams,accidents etc- are adding to the fear of this city..making people live on the edge of insecurity! My father,who once loved to visit Bangalore,is afraid to come now.

This city has changed a lot in very small span of time..its totally different than the time I visited some 10years back(during my CET counseling). If you make a person to visit Bangalore,who has stayed away from this city since last 15-20 years,he/she'll be lost totally!! I have seen old Bangaloreans' eyes filling with tears when they talk about bygone days of this city ;-(

Gone are those days- which once known as garden city of India,where every road was a jogging spot with no pollution/no traffic,where there were thousands of trees for every mile,where mornings were welcomed with birds' chirping,where people used to wear coats even in summer,where life was so safe,secured,easy and inexpensive..

I just wonder,is it possible now to live in Bangalore which once known as "pensioner's paradise", just with pension? I am afraid how other non-IT people are affording to stay here!!

I know,inspite of all these I have to live here,because this city gives me my bread,it has given me much more than I deserve!!..it is a city of opportunities,if a city needs to grow,it has to compromise with some natural factors!

Just like every Bangalorean, I would be very happy if this city develops in a more organized way taking into consideration its lost pride and beauty, where all classes of people can stay happily,affording every basic need.

I wish, I get a chance soon to write again on "paradise re-gained" about this city!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi basavraj,
you remember me? I was your classmate in PU,good to see you writing,very nice blog,you are always a nice person to know.Atlast I caught you.I am in Delhi now,married,u too married right?Congrats.keep in touch @ maadhuri.b for chat.

Priya Pai said...

Basavraj, this is a wonderful review of life in Bangalore!

susheel said...

:-)....Yes, whose father what bundel goes..

I remember you from our "GIT college bus days". Am neelesh's friend. was your Junior in E&C departmet.Came across your blog by chance. Felt good. Felt I should put some comment here.

Of course you might not be remembering me, but - Whose father what bundel goes :-)